Hi everyone! Today, I will be sharing my experiences with mild acne and a few tips on how to control the condition. A few years ago, I all of sudden started to develop acne. My skin was perfectly clear beforehand and I completely freaked out! I bought a zillion different products, from argan oil to Proactiv, hoping that they would help, but they made my skin look even worse. It got so bad that I eventually developed a cystic acne lesion. At that point, I was absolutely mortified! I felt so grossed out by my face I ended up putting pounds of makeup on every day to cover up the pimples. I then made an appointment to a dermatologist, who said that my acne is most likely due to hormonal changes going on in my body, and that soon the changes will cease. I came home that day disappointed, and with a prescription for a benzoyl peroxide cream. The cream proved to be a disaster! It made my sensitive skin flaky, inflamed, and dry. After reading up on the potential negative side effects of benzoyl peroxide, such as the fact that it can prolong scarring, I knew I had to try something else. I thought it would be best to try some natural acne treatments and after a year of trial and error, I have found ways to keep my skin clear! I still get a few breakouts whenever I’m under stress, but for most of the time, my skin looks amazing and I’m really happy with it! Below I have put together a list of a few things that really helped to treat my mild acne. Every month, I will add post more tips on how to keep your skin looking healthy and radiant!
- STOP PICKING!!!!!- If you want clear skin you need to stop doing this ASAP!!! It is one of the worst things you can do for your skin, since you can get an infection and scar your face. I know, I know you can’t help it because I’ve been there. I used to pick at my pimples like a maniac. It almost felt like some form of stress release. What helped me, was finding ways to distract myself. For example, if the thought of picking at my pimples crossed my mind, I would distract myself with another activity, such as working out or studying. It takes effort but you have to try and not give up! Just remember- PICKING IS THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR FACE!!! Just put on a spot treatment, a bit of concealer, and walk away feeling confident!
- MASKS ARE AMAZING! – Throughout my struggle with acne, facial masks have been my best friends. They’re relaxing, convenient, and are effective. I particularly love clay masks. They improve circulation to your skin and also draw out harmful toxins, oils, and dirt. A great clay mask that I use is the 100% Pure Pineapple Enzyme Facial Peel Mask, that contains kaolin clay. Also, since clay masks can be drying, they should be alternated with moisturizing masks. You can make a moisturizing mask at home with ingredients such as honey or plain yogurt. One great mask that you can buy is the Sequoia Beauty Honey Berry Enzyme Mask. Be sure to check out my review for it here! I like to put on different masks two to three times a week, while studying or before going to bed.
- MAKE A FACIAL STEAM BATH- I like to make a facial steam bath at least once a week. It helps to unclog pores and improves circulation to the face. It also makes my skin feel moisturized and makes me feel incredibly relaxed! To make a steam bath just boil two cups of water in a pot and allow for it to cool a little bit. Afterwards, cover your face with a towel and hold it 12 inches away from the pot for about 10 minutes. BE CAREFUL! You don’t want to burn yourself by touching the pot or getting too close to the steam! Also, you can add a few herbs to the pot for additional benefits, such as chamomile and strawberry leaf. In addition, if your skin is incredibly sensitive and if you suffer from conditions such as rosacea, a fungal infection, or cystic acne, I would not recommend making a steam bath since that can actually cause more harm than good for your face.
- EASE UP ON SKIN PRODUCTS- Try not to cover up your face with tons of different products, including creams and makeup. These things may aggravate your skin and clog your pores. Also, if something is labeled as being hypoallergenic, that doesn’t mean you should pile it on your face and wear it all day long. Your skin needs to breathe! In fact, I suggest you stop using almost all products until you figure out what aggravates or helps your acne. If you get a pimple just cover it up with some concealer and that’s it! Over time you can try out new skincare products one by one to see whether or not they are good for. Also, remember that what works for you may not work for someone else! For example, a friend of mine swears by argan oil, but it makes my skin break out like crazy! So, try and see what works for your skin!
- EXERCISE- Here, I just have to put in this quote said by Elle Woods in Legally Blonde- “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t.” Okay, so apart from the endorphin release and husband shooting preventive methods exercise can give you, exercise is also amazing for your skin! By increasing blood flow, exercise helps to nourish skin cells and also helps to carry away harmful toxins, including free radical that can age your skin. It pretty much clears your skin from the inside out! Plus, I personally love that post-workout glow my skin gets! Here are some great dance tunes you might not have heard of, that you can get you into workout mode!
- Heartbreak Make Me A Dancer- Sophie Ellis Bextor
- Amare- Noni
- MØ – Don’t Wanna Dance
- Can’t Fight This Feeling- Sophie Ellis Bextor
- Toca Toca- Fly Project
- Turbotronic- Do It
- Walking On Air- Anise K feat. Lance Bass, Bella Blue, and Snoop Dog
I hope these tips are helpful! Do you have any tips for treating mild acne? What did you think of these tips? Be sure to comment below! Also, don’t forget to check out Naturalinnas on Instagram, FB, and Twitter! =)